|What is lead poisoning?
Lead is a metal and that is poisonous and toxic to people, especially children, when it is ingested. It is no longer used as a gasoline additive, or in lead paint, but it does continue to be used in many products. And since lead that has contaminated soil from the past use of lead paint and gasoline does not degrade or break down with time, kids continue to be at risk.
Lead Poisoning Update
An update on lead poisoning in children, including reports on the possible negative effects that even low lead levels may have. Review this guideline to make sure that your children aren't at risk for lead poisoning.
Lead poisoning risk factors...
Are your kids at risk? Children are most commonly exposed by the ingestion of lead paint chips or contaminated dirt, but there are many other factors that put your kids at increased risk, including folk medicines, hobbies, and where their parents work.
Water and Lead Poisoning
Review how to decrease your child's risk of lead poisoning from drinking water in your home.
Children should be screen beginning at the age of six to nine months by having parents and care givers review the risk factors for lead poisoning. Children found to be at risk (from lead paint exposure, etc.) require testing with a finger stick blood sample or a venous blood level.
Lead poisoning prevention...
Keep your kids safe from lead hazards. The best prevention for lead poisoning is to provide your children with a safe environment that does not contain any of the hazards that are known to put your kids at risk.
Symptoms of lead poisoning...
After being ingested, lead enters the bloodstream and is absorbed and stored in many tissues and organs in the body, including the liver, kidneys, brain, teeth and bones. High levels can cause serious health problems in your children and can affect almost every organ system of the body, causing many different symptoms.
Treatment of lead-poisoning
Treatment guidelines for kids with symptoms of poisoning with lead.